Many people can’t last a day without coffee.
Some drink coffee in the morning, in the afternoon, and even in the evening.
Have you thought about how coffee can stain your teeth?
Caffeine found in coffee has a lot of benefits.
Aside from keeping you awake, it also works to lessen one’s appetite.
This may sound great, but remember that your teeth also suffer from drinking this beverage.
Everything has their positives and negatives, and unfortunately, so does coffee. Studies show that cold coffee is better to drink because the hotter it is, the easier it will stain your teeth.
Hot drinks can also cause little cracks to your teeth to develop. Once there’s a crack, food particles attach to them and stain your once-pearly whites. If your coffee is even a little bit cooler than usual, it’s much safer for your teeth in the long run.
How can coffee stain my teeth?
Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the body. Unfortunately, enamel isn’t smooth and flat, which makes it vulnerable to retaining food particles. Particles especially from dark-colored drinks like tea, coffee, and soda easily attach within cracks of your teeth, and if not prevented, yellowing of the teeth is a common outcome.
It’s also important to know that the amount of coffee you consume daily affects the color of your teeth. The more coffee you drink, the greater the impact on your naturally white teeth. Fortunately, there are modern dental care and teeth-whitening products available, allowing you to still enjoy coffee without worrying about the color of your teeth.
Keep in mind, if coffee can stain your teeth, so can other dark-colored drinks or food.
How can you prevent coffee from staining your teeth?
• Use a straw – It reduces the amount of contact between your teeth and the coffee.
• Drink lots of water – Although it won’t save you completely, a quick rinse after drinking coffee or tea will wash out residual liquids.
• Regularly brush your teeth – This is pretty obvious, it’s how we maintain good dental hygiene!
• Don’t forget to floss – Plaque that causes stains will be greatly reduced.
• Use whitening products – There are special toothpastes and mouthwashes available for the sole purpose of whitening your smile.
• Use tooth-bleaching products – Take use of tooth-bleaching products to reduce stains. You can apply this product at home or with the help of a dental professional.
• Eat your veggies – Eating carrots or celery after drinking coffee, or any other dark-colored drink, can help prevent stains. These are vegetables that contain a lot of water, which help to rub off stains deep within the teeth.
Even though coffee stains, we can still work to reduce the long-term effects it has on our teeth. Through proper oral hygiene practices like brushing and flossing, as well as making use of the tips mentioned above, you can help keep your teeth looking amazing.
It’s hard to abstain from coffee, but just make sure you’re conscious of the amount you drink. Noticing how often and how much coffee you drink is the first step to reducing teeth staining. Remember to make use of these methods to keep your smile beautiful and bright!