A dental X-ray must be conducted to get a perspective on the condition of the oral cavity. It helps in the diagnosis of dental problems and in the identification of the right dental treatment to be done. During follow-up check-ups, an X-ray may also be done to know the progress of the treatment.
Resulting images from X-rays show cavities, concealed dental structures like the wisdom teeth, and bone loss that a visual examination might miss.
Dental X-rays come in different types. The commonly used types are bitewing X-rays, periapical X-rays, occlusal X-rays, panoramic X-rays, and digital X-rays.
- Bitewing X-rays check for tooth decay between the teeth and the line-up of the upper and lower teeth. These X-rays exhibit the upper and lower back teeth in one view.
- Periapical X-rays help find dental issues below the gum line or in the jaw including impacted teeth, tumors, cysts, abscesses, and changes in the bones linked to certain diseases. These X-rays show the entire tooth – from the exposed crown to the end of the root and bones supporting the tooth.
- Occlusal X-rays give a view of the mouth’s roof and floor to identify the existence of extra teeth, teeth that have not broken through the gums, fractures on the jaw, cleft palate, cysts, abscesses, growth, and foreign object.
- Panoramic X-rays display a comprehensive view of the teeth, the nasal area, and the jaws including the temporomandibular joints. Through panoramic X-rays, dental problems like an impacted tooth, abnormalities of the bones, cysts, tumors, infections, and fractures can be identified.
- Digital X-rays are a type of X-ray imaging that uses digital X-ray sensors instead of photographic film. It is more efficient and allows images to be digitally transferred and restored. Digital X-rays can be used to highlight differences between images, making comparison easier. Changes, no matter how small, can also be detected.
At Hawaii Family Dental, we use digital X-rays. Digital X-rays have up to 90 percent less radiation than traditional X-rays.
Why Choose Us?
- Trusted by more moms and referred by more patients than any other dental office in Hawaii since 1986
- Home to Honolulu Magazine-recognized "Best Dentist" in all specialties
- Offers every dental treatment from preventive care and dental emergencies to orthodontics and cosmetic dentistry
- Accessible in 11 convenient locations all over Hawaii with extended weekday and weekend hours
- Provides the best treatments at affordable prices
- Accepts all insurance and offers flexible financing options