Oral health is as important as maintaining a healthy body and mind.
Good oral health without a doubt boosts your self-confidence because you are able to flash a smile in the most poised manner.
But how do you gauge if you’re really taking good care of your mouth?
Are your toothbrush routines enough?
Are you sure you have no cavities?
To be cavity and plaque free is achievable if you practice good oral hygiene.
Aside from brushing your teeth every after meal, you also have to visit your dentist for routine check-up and full dental cleaning.
Don’t forget to use mouthwash or rinses prescribed by your dentist.
Importance of a fluoride rinse and mouthwashes
Basically, a mouthwash freshens and reduces the bacteria in your teeth. Using mouthwash along with flossing and brushing your teeth helps plaque and dental formation. It also reduces the risk for gum problems like gingivitis and even advanced gum diseases like periodontitis.
Cosmetic and therapeutic fluoride rinses?
There are 2 mouth rinses available today. These are the cosmetic and the therapeutic mouth rinses. The therapeutic mouthwash contains fluoride in order to help strengthen the teeth and prevent tooth decay. Its action mainly focuses on reducing gingivitis, plaque, dental cavities and even bad breath. It helps avoid formation of tartar to prevent a more severe kind of gum problem.
Cosmetic mouth rinses on the other hand, just reduces the bad odor in your mouth but not treat the underlying causes of the bad breath. Furthermore, it is not involved in killing bacteria accumulating in the oral cavity.
What are the ingredients found in a fluoride rinse?
- Fluoride – which helps reduce tooth decay and cavity, it protects the tooth enamel making it strong and resistant to decays.
- Antimicrobial agents – it directly fights off the bacteria in your mouth to reduce plaque deposits, which causes gum problems.
- Astringents – helps in reducing the bad odor coming from your mouth due to accumulation of bacteria in your oral cavity.
Benefits of using a mouthwash
Toothbrush and flossing alone do not completely remove the bacteria in your mouth. With the help of a fluoride mouthwash, you will experience a lot of benefits in order to keep your oral cavity healthy and strong.
- It fights gum diseases: The antibacterial mouthwash with fluoride content can simply fight off the bacteria in your mouth. It prevents certain conditions like gingivitis and other periodontal diseases.
- Soothes canker sore: Having canker sore leaves you uncomfortable and leads an experience of pain in your mouth. The mouthwash helps detoxing the sore thus decreases the bacteria invasion on the side of your mouth.
- Decreases oral problems during pregnancy: There is a link between gum problems and pregnancy. The hormonal changes increase the risk of gum diseases in pregnant women. If gum problems are not tended to, it can lead to worse case scenarios like low-weight babies and even pre-term delivery. Consult your dentist on which fluoride rinse to use while you’re pregnant.
- Decreases cavity formation. Cavities are your number enemies when it comes to mouth care. Aside from brushing and flossing, don’t forget to rinse your mouth with fluoride rinse.
All it takes is some fluoride rinse here, some flossing there, and your teeth are already on their way to success! Contact your dentist for the best possible care to your mouth, teeth and gums!