Brushing your teeth twice a day, flossing, and rinsing with mouthwash are necessities in preventing cavities. Likewise, regular cleanings are also essential as they remove plaque and tartar from your teeth.
Plaque is a deposit of bacteria that live on the surfaces of your teeth and mouth. It's sticky, colorless, but nevertheless smelly. If unremoved, it can harden and form into tartar.
Tartar, also known as calculus, is born from the plaque on the teeth and the minerals from your saliva. Without removal, plaque and tartar can build up. As a result, tooth decay, gum disease, and other oral-related problems may arise. However, tartar cannot be removed at home with regular brushing.
During your cleaning, the plaque and irritants from the oral cavity are controlled and removed. Thus, this prevents the worsening of dental issues and demineralization of the teeth.
Tooth scaling, also known as deep cleaning or conventional periodontal therapy, is the removal of dental plaque and tartar. Additionally, it involves the smoothening of the exposed roots and the elimination of the cementum or dentine imbued with calculus, toxins, or microorganisms that cause inflammation.
Dental cleanings are often a part of regular dental check-ups. The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends professional teeth cleanings at least twice a year for optimum oral health. However, some individuals may require more frequent cleanings.
Areas we serve:
Why Choose Us?
- More moms have referred us than any other dental office in Hawaii since 1986.
- Honolulu Magazine recognized 35 "Best Dentist" at Hawaii Family Dental in 2017, five times more than anyone else.
- Hawaii Family Dental is the only office has every specialty.
- 11 convenient locations throughout Hawaii
- Extended weekday and weekend hours
- Financing options as low as 0% interest for 24 months
- We love insurance and will maximize your benefits.