Cleaning, Hygiene & Safety Standards
We’ve always been committed to the highest safety standards — and now, deep cleaning has taken on a whole new meaning:
- We’re closely following guidance from the American Dental Association (ADA) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) when it comes to personal protective equipment (PPE). All care team members must wear PPE such as masks when working with patients, whether they are at the front desk or in a treatment room.
- In treatment rooms, equipment is sterilized and all surfaces are cleaned between each patient.
- Surfaces in waiting rooms and common areas are cleaned hourly to keep high-touch surfaces clean.
- Hand sanitizer is available throughout the office.
We’re requiring wellness checks for care teams and patients alike:
- Before seeing patients, staff are checked daily for signs or symptoms of illness, including mandatory temperature checks.
- Staff who show any signs or symptoms of a cold, seasonal flu, or COVID-19 must stay home until they have been cleared by their healthcare provider.
- We are screening all patients before starting care to assess their COVID-19 risk, including temperature checks and symptom screening.
- Patients who are not feeling well are asked to reschedule appointments before coming to the office.
In times like these, a little distance goes a long way:
- We ask patients to arrive on time, not early, to minimize time spent in the office.
- Patients will be moved quickly into their treatment room upon arrival. If a wait is required, patients are asked to wear a mask and wait outside the office, preferably in the car, before an appointment. We’ll text when we’re ready to see you. If that isn’t possible, a patient may wait in the waiting room only when it’s possible to remain seated six feet apart.
- Only those scheduled for care should be in the office. Family and friends of the patients are asked to wait outside the office unless the patient requires personal assistance during their visit.
We’ve adjusted our operations to keep patients and care teams safe:
- We’re staggering appointment times to limit the number of people arriving to the office at any given time.
- We encourage patients to complete their paperwork online in advance of their appointment to minimize paper in the office.
- We've minimized the amount of touch points during our check-in and check-out processes.
After calling through a list and leaving messages, I finally came across Hawaii Family Dental, Waterfront Plaza. Their friendly staff got me the info I needed to get a referral to be seen asap.
The day of my consultation I met Dr Sterling, who was the head surgeon. After getting X-rays done and a 3D graph of my jaw, Dr Sterling walked me through what could’ve been a complicated procedure of extracting my infected wisdom tooth if I had waited longer.
Like all good doctors, Dr Sterling gave me scenarios of what could and could not happen, possible bads if not done right.. you know.. the things we all should hear, not no beating around the bush type of talk. And thankfully I’m the type of guy that’s able to deal with whatever consequences. But luckily Dr Sterling assured me the procedure that I was about to get done, was nothing new to him.
Day of my surgery, I showed up.. the procedure room was setup and ready for me. The surgical team had the usual intro and role of each member and verifying who the patient is and procedure. And before I knew it I was out cold thanks to anesthesia.
When I finally came to at the end of the surgery, which only took no longer than an hour, the procedure was a success removing of my wisdom and cleaning the infected area. I was then sent home with a “after care kit” and prescribed meds to pickup afterwards.
I’m on my 3 day of recovery, and depending on the person, recovery should only take about 5-6 days assuring you’re following your after care instructions. Swelling from my cheeks is noticeably going down and a follow up checkup scheduled in the next few days from now.
My overall first time experience with Hawaii Family Dental has been great, professional and friendly.
So I recently had a dental emergency and Dr Bono and her assistant Cedric were able to see me right away and they literally saved my smile. At the end of the appointment, Dr. Bono referred me to the oral surgeon. I was nervous but Dr Sterling and his assistants Dee and Cat made sure I understood what was going to happen during and after the surgery so by the end of it I was calm and assured of what to expect. Thank you Hawaii Family Dental Honolulu for having a friendly, professional team!!
The staff from check-in to scheduling are on point. Everyone that I have any interaction with, have been great. I love the reminders too. Thanks everyone, you are wonderful, and I appreciate you. So, if you're looking for a dentist or hygienist give Hawaii Family Dental a call. Thanks again, smile and have a blessed day.
Dr. Coloma and his hygienist (forgot her name...sorry!!), they explained everything so I could understand what was happening, when it was gonna happen.
Thank you so much!!