Patients with a damaged, chipped or cracked tooth need not hide their smiles any longer. Dentistry has created more options to restore your tooth’s shape, size, strength, and improve its appearance through dental crowns.
A dental crown is a form of dental restoration placed over a tooth, ultimately capping or encircling the visible portion of a tooth that lies at and above the gum line. This dental restoration is recommended to shield a weak tooth, restore a broken or worn-down tooth, support a tooth with a large filling, hold a dental bridge in place, cover a misshaped or discolored tooth and a dental implant, and for cosmetic modification.
Dental crowns are available in various types according to the material used such as stainless steel, metals like gold, porcelain, or resin. Stainless steel crowns are usually recommended for children. Among the different materials, metals like gold or platinum can withstand biting and chewing forces better and last the longest among other types.
A dental crown procedure may involve two visits – the examination and preparation phase and the placement phase.
- First visit: The first part of the process will require a check-up, X-rays, and other treatments if your tooth is extensively decayed. During this visit, your dentist will also begin the process of making a crown by creating an impression of the tooth. The dental crown will be available in two to three weeks. During the waiting period, a temporary crown will be used to cover and protect the prepared tooth.
- Second visit: The second part of the procedure will be the permanent cementing of the crown.
Why Choose Us?
- Trusted by more moms and referred by more patients than any other dental office in Hawaii since 1986
- Home to Honolulu Magazine-recognized "Best Dentist" in all specialties
- Offers every dental treatment from preventive care and dental emergencies to orthodontics and cosmetic dentistry
- Accessible in 11 convenient locations all over Hawaii with extended weekday and weekend hours
- Provides the best treatments at affordable prices
- Accepts all insurance and offers flexible financing options