The National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey of the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research showed that 92 percent of adults aged 20 to 64 have had dental caries in their permanent teeth, while 42 percent was recorded among children aged two to 11.
Despite being preventable, dental caries continue to record alarming statistics due to improper oral hygiene. A damaged tooth poses harm to the oral health and the general health as the teeth and mouth are part of a bigger functioning system such as chewing musculature and supporting the jaw structure and gum tissue. It can also affect the appearance and harbor psychological and social effects on the individual.
When inflicted with tooth decay, the best option is to treat it as soon as possible to prevent the worsening of the case that can lead to serious oral problems. A cavity can be treated through dental fillings.
A dental filling is a restorative material used to repair a decayed, cracked or broken tooth. Different materials such as gold, amalgam, composite resin, and porcelain are used as dental fillings with each material offering its own set of advantages and disadvantages.
The dental filling procedure will involve the use of a local anesthetic to numb the area surrounding the tooth to be filled. Then, with a drill, air abrasion instrument, or laser, the decayed area will be removed and testing or probing of the area follows to determine if all the decay has been removed. The space for the filling will be cleaned to prepare the space for the filling. Polishing it will finish off the procedure.
Areas we serve:
Why Choose Us?
- Trusted by more moms and referred by more patients than any other dental office in Hawaii since 1986
- Home to Honolulu Magazine-recognized "Best Dentist" in all specialties
- Offers every dental treatment from preventive care and dental emergencies to orthodontics and cosmetic dentistry
- Accessible in 11 convenient locations all over Hawaii with extended weekday and weekend hours
- Provides the best treatments at affordable prices
- Accepts all insurance and offers flexible financing options