A more confident, attractive person begins with engaging in a twice-daily oral hygiene routine. Apart from greater self-esteem and aesthetics, the right oral health practices can significantly aid the healthy development of strong teeth and gums.
Proper dental care also helps a person avoid unnecessary expenses for extra dentist visits and treatments when oral health goes awry.
Fortunately, as an individual gets the chance to understand the basic routines necessary to upkeep good oral hygiene, maintaining healthy teeth and gums becomes easy.
Furthermore, with thorough dental knowledge, one can lead toward a path of outstanding oral health for life.
Ways to Keep Your Oral Health in Top-notch Condition:
- Brush at least twice a day and floss daily. The use of antimicrobial mouthwash can also minimize odor-causing bacteria in the mouth.
- Consume a well-balanced diet consisting of plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Regularly visit a dental professional for thorough dental examinations twice a year. In case problems arise, consult a dental professional instead of waiting for your next checkup.
- Avoid using tobacco products.
- Get your diabetes, heart disease, or high blood pressure under control with medical assistance.
The Benefits of Oral Hygiene
Thorough cleaning of the tongue, gums, and teeth daily combined with yearly checkups helps impede harmful microbes. Without the right care, oral bacteria may lead to bleeding gums, tooth decay, and oral infections.
Indeed, proper oral hygiene is also valuable in helping a person stay in good health, especially if they have risk factors for certain diseases. However, many conditions such as diabetes are also known to contribute to oral health problems. Thus, whether you have or are at risk for certain conditions, always maintain good oral health.
Oral hygiene also greatly enhances one’s sense of confidence. After all, everyone wants pearly-white teeth and fresh breath. This is certainly true for those who often interact with others in social situations.
Most of all, proper oral hygiene can reduce the need to treat easily-preventable dental complications.
In fact, dental costs make up about 20 percent of a child’s overall health care expenditures. But due to the poor oral hygiene of many children, the costs are rapidly rising.
Important Facts about Oral Hygiene
The American Dental Hygienists Association has revealed that:
- Consuming healthy snacks like apples, carrots, and celery considerably help clear away trapped food particles between the teeth. Thus, fruits and veggies are essentially natural toothbrushes.
- The principal cause of tooth loss in kids is cavities. On the other hand, periodontal disease is perceived as the main cause of tooth loss in adults.
- The primary oral health issue for infants or babies is baby bottle tooth decay. This can be caused when infants are bottle-fed sugar-based liquids such as juice when put to sleep.