What is a dental emergency? You may have a fractured or chipped tooth. Or, you might have a less obvious symptom. If in doubt, call us. Even minor toothaches can turn into more serious problems.
- Sudden facial swelling or pain in your gums
- Bleeding in your mouth
- Extremely sensitive teeth preventing comfortable sleep
- A loose tooth or an accident lacerating lips, tongue, or other oral tissues
- An object stuck between your teeth
Neglecting emergencies increase the danger of permanent damage and the need for costly and extensive treatment in the future.
Immediate steps until you see the dentist:
- Toothaches: Rinse your mouth with warm water. Apply a cold pack to the outside of your cheek or mouth if you have a swollen mouth.
- Objects caught between teeth: Use floss to try and gently remove the object. Do not use sharp objects like a pin or needle. You might cut your gums or scratch the surfaces of your teeth.
- Broken or chipped teeth: Save any pieces. Rinse your mouth and the broken piece with warm water. If you're bleeding, apply a piece of gauze for ten minutes or until the bleeding stops. Then, apply a cold compress to the outside of the cheek, mouth, or lip to relieve the pain.
- Loose tooth: Apply a cold compress to the outside of the cheek or mouth to relieve the discomfort or pain.
Having sudden oral pain? Call us at 808-201-6092 for emergency dental care. We’ll see, exam, diagnose, and treat you on the same day.
Your symptoms may be subtle, or they may be more obvious, like the ones below:
Signals That It’s Time to Call The Emergency Dental Care hotline.
- Facial Swelling: a swollen face may be caused by a problem with your gums, teeth, or mouth area, and your dentist will be able to diagnose
- Oral Bleeding: bleeding is a sign of injury to the gums or walls of the mouth, and may need to be treated immediately
- Accident or Injury: see a dentist immediately if your teeth or mouth are injured in any way
- Dental Pain: any oral pain is a sign that you need to see your dentist
Your same-day treatment was made to leave you pain-free and safe from costly dental problems down the line.
Even the smallest toothache can turn into a big problem if ignored long enough. Call an emergency dentist immediately at 808-201-6092 if you have any concerns.
Such dental emergencies like an injury to the gums or teeth can be possibly serious and must not be neglected.
Neglecting a dental issue can most likely increase the danger of permanent damage and the need for more costly and extensive treatment in the future.
Take into consideration some of the following usual dental complications you need to watch out:
- Objects caught between teeth: It matters to utilize dental floss very carefully and gently to remove the object. If you cannot remove the object, it is best to go to your dentist. Do not utilize a sharp object like a pin to take away the stuck object. Keep in mind that these instruments can easily scratch the surface of your teeth or cut your gums.
- Toothaches: Carefully rinse your mouth with warm water. Be sure to utilize dental floss to eliminate any stuck food. Apply a cold compress to the outside of your cheek or mouth if you have a swollen mouth. Do not put painkiller or aspirin against the gums neighboring the aching tooth as this may potentially burn the gum tissue. Go to your dentist right away.
- Knocked-out tooth: Restore the tooth and be certain to hold it by the crown and then thoroughly rinse off the root of the tooth with water if it is dirty. Never scrub it or eliminate any attached fragments of tissue. If possible, you may try to put the tooth back in place. Keep in mind that it a must to face the proper way. Additionally, do not force it into the socket. In the event that it is not feasible to re-insert the tooth in the socket, place the tooth in a small-sized container of milk or any product that comes with what is known as cell growth medium like Save-a-Tooth. In most cases, it’s best to see your dentist.
- Broken or chipped teeth: Save any pieces. Make sure to rinse the mouth, particularly the broken pieces, thoroughly using warm water. In case that bleeding takes place, it is advisable to apply a piece of gauze to the infected area for approximately ten minutes or till the bleeding halts. Afterwards, apply a cold compress to the outside of the cheek, mouth or lip close by the chipped or broken tooth in order to relieve the pain or keep any injury down. Go to your dentist at once.
- Lost crown: Immediately make appointment to visit your dentist right away in case the crown wanes. It is fundamental to bring the crown with you. If the tooth causes pain, be sure to utilize a cotton swab and then apply a little amount of clove oil to the infected area. If it is still feasible, you may move the crown back over the tooth. Prior to executing this, first you need to coat the internal surface with toothpaste, dental cement or denture adhesive to remarkably aid hold the crown in place. Remember never utilize a super glue.
- Lost filling: Utilize dental cement or stick a piece of a gum (preferably the sugarless one) into the cavity. Go to your dentist at once.
- Partially dislodged or extruded tooth: In this case, go to your dentist as soon as possible. Apply a cold compress to the outside of the cheek or mouth especially on the infected area before you go to the dentist to somehow relieve the discomfort or pain. You may also take a pain reliever such as Advil or Tylenol if necessary.
For most dental emergencies, it’s usually best to see your dentist, and they’ll know how to remedy the situation. Avoid dangerous situations by taking precaution, wearing helmets, proper head/chin/mouth gear. Be safe, and take care of your mouth!
Areas we serve:
Why Choose Us?
- More moms have referred us than any other dental office in Hawaii since 1986
- Honolulu Magazine recognized 35 "Best Dentist" at Hawaii Family Dental in 2017, five times more than anyone
- Hawaii Family Dental is the only office has every specialty
- 11 convenient locations throughout Hawaii
- Extended weekday and weekend hours
- Financing options as low as 0% interest for 24 months
- We love insurance and will maximize your benefits