People are aware that our teeth are regarded as quite essential for having a good smile, being able to speak well and for chewing and eating.
But, we always tend to overlook how truly special and valuable our teeth can be.
Meanwhile, we follow good oral hygiene practice and visit the dentist twice a year for professional cleaning, exhaustive dental checkup and to receive other necessary dental procedure and dental treatment to ensure that we have good oral health.
Dentists aim to treat their patients with premium quality dental care. However, many times, educating people about their oral health is often ignored. Let us discover more about the fun facts of our most precious teeth.
Here is an interesting list of fun dental facts that you should know:
- The average woman smiles approximately 62 times per day, on the other hand, a man smiles about only 8 times per day.
- The mouth produces more than twenty-five thousand quarts of saliva in a lifetime — that is quite adequate to fill two swimming pools.
- The plaque present on the teeth is home to over three hundred diverse species of bacteria. So, this makes it more imperative to gargle with an antibacterial oral rinse.
- The enamel of the tooth is known to be the toughest substance found in the body. However, it is advised to use the teeth to open bottles.
- 6 is a cool number- this is also equivalent to storing your toothbrush six feet away from the toilet to avert airborne particles from accumulating in your toothbrush’s bristles.
- About 73 percent of Americans prefer going grocery shopping than flossing.
- George Washington’s well-known dentures weren’t actually created from wood. In point of fact, the 4 pairs of his custom chompers were made from lead, ivory, and gold and also a mixture of hippopotamus, donkey and human teeth.
- A person’s tongue print is different just like his or her fingerprints.
- Americans spend one hundred billion dollars annually buying hair care products. Indeed, only two billion dollars is spent on dental care products. Don’t they realize that having shiny hair is useless without an attractive smile?
- 59 percent are affected by tooth decay and this is still considered the most common chronic disease among kids ages 5 to 17.
- About 75 percent of US population suffers from gum disease.
- Approximately 33 percent of Americans have untreated dental caries.
- In the year 1498, the first toothbrush that is designed with bristles was designed in China. The bristles are made of hair from badgers, horses, and hogs. It was in the year 1938 when the first approved commercial toothbrush was made.
- An average person spends approximately forty-eight seconds brushing their teeth per day; however, the recommended time is at least two to three minutes.
- Tooth decay is still the most common disease in the US aside from common cold although 1/3 of a population between the ages of five and seventeen are cavity-free.
- More than million miles of dental floss is bought in North America annually.
- Children laugh approximately four hundred times per day, on the other hand, adults laugh only fifteen times per day.
- Over three hundred kinds of bacteria make up dental plaque.
- A person misses nearly 40 percent of his or her tooth surfaces if he or she does not floss. So, it is important to brush at least twice per day and floss daily.
- Before modern toothpaste was invented, people used ashes, lemon juice, charcoal, honey-tobacco mixtures and ground chalk to clean their teeth.
Disclaimer: The oral health information published on this web page is solely intended for educational purposes. Hawaii Family Dental strongly recommends to always consult licensed dentists or other qualified health care professionals for any questions concerning your oral health.